Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Letter 10 - Aug 10, 1918


Letter #10 addressed to Mrs. Maggie Thompson
Sedona, AZ     Postmarked August 12, 1918

Co B 134 Inf
Camp Cody NM
Aug 10, 1918

Dear Mother,

I got your letter you wrote August 1st day before yesterday just before we started out to the hangar.  The bunch that came down when I did finished shooting in four trips but there was 80 more came here from casual camp about a week ago and we have been out twice with them to march together for them and will have to go out with them twice more.  All we have to sleep on out there is one blanket and a rain coat.  I got the boxes you sent.  I have some towels and some more things here that I brought with me and now the government has issued us towels and razors and other things so I am going to send mine back.  I think we are quarantined tomorrow until we leave here.  I think it will be about 10 days yet but we won’t know where we are going until we are on the road a day or two.

But if we should happen to go across to France I don’t want you to worry because you know that whenever our time comes to die we die where ever we are.  If we cross now it will be because they want a big lot of men over there before winter and we would train over there.  We see the papers here every day and if there is any truth in the papers they are killing and capturing thousands of Germans every day.   Fred sent me a bill on them things and $4  was what he wanted for the dresser and I don’t think he will take it since he got my letter but if he still wants it let him have it and tell A. P. to not pay him for it.  Well I will close and write Ab a few lines. 
 As ever, Charley





No comments:

Post a Comment

Who Were Charles and James Thompson??

The Thompson family were early pioneers in Arizona.  The father and patriarch, Irish immigrant John James Thompson (born 1841), was the firs...