Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Letter 4 - July 8, 1918


Letter #4 to Mrs. J. J. Thompson
Sedona, Ariz
Postmarked July 8 1918

Co. H 133 Inf
Camp Cody, New Mex
July 8 1918

Dear Mother,

I was over to Charley’s tent last night and got the letter that you wrote. He got the letter the evening of the fourth, but I did not know it till last night. Well I sure would of liked to of been with you the fourth to help you eat the pies, cakes and ice cream that you wrote about. I did not have nothing but potatoes, beans and stuff like that to eat.

There was a man took the measles in our company, so we can’t leave the company street without slipping off. Well I got a pay day the 2nd of July when I first come here. I had my life insured for $10,000. I had this made out to you so if I get killed you will get $10,000. That cost me $6.25 a month and I had them to send you $15 of my pay a month so I drawed $14.30. Have you heard anything of the $15 that you was to get yet? When you get the first pay write and let me know.
You said it had been awful hot and dry there. We have had two or three good rains here. But it sure is hot here. It is 115 in the shade here. Some of the boys that come here when we did left the other day. They said they was going to Oklahoma, but I don’t know where they went.
They say that we will leave here about the first of August and go in some other camp, but I don’t know. You can hear anything in the army.

Well I done my washing yesterday. If I stay in the army very long I will learn to wash. It is so hot we sweat so here we have to change clothes about twice a week. We get up here every morning about 5 o’clock, have reveille and then clean up the street and then have breakfast. We go to drill at 7 o’clock and come in at eleven and then rest till two o’clock and then we drill till 5 o’clock .
Well as I don’t know anything more to write I will close for this time. This leaves me well and hope it finds you all the same.

Write soon.
Your son, James Thompson





No comments:

Post a Comment

Who Were Charles and James Thompson??

The Thompson family were early pioneers in Arizona.  The father and patriarch, Irish immigrant John James Thompson (born 1841), was the firs...