Saturday, August 11, 2018

Letter 17 - Oct 6, 1918


Letter #17 to Mr. J. J. Thompson
Flagstaff, Ariz
Postmarked Oct 7, 1918


Oct 6, 1918
Camp Dix, NJ
133 Inf Co H

Dear Mother

I got your letter that you wrote when you was in Flagstaff and I will drop you a line to let you know that I am well and still in Camp Dix but don’t know when I will leave here.   Some say that we will go across and say that we won’t so I don’t know what to tell you.  From the way that the papers read now it looks like the war was purt near over.  I think this winter will wind it up. 

We had a news show here in the Y. M. C. A.  last night.  Did you get the pictures that I sent you? 

Well the sick are all about well now.  There was ten or twelve died out of Co H and there is still five or six in the hospital yet.  We haven’t done anything much for the last three weeks but lay around.

Roe Smith has been gone for three weeks.  He was in the bunch that started across when we took this sickness and I don’t know where he is now.  Some say they are still in New York and some say they are across the water.  If they are across we will be pretty apt to follow them.  for our major is with them.    I hope that Albert and Greene get exempted for you need them there and the army ain’t a very nice place to be.

Have you heard anything about my insurance yet?   It was made out to you and you ought to get a receipt of it when they get it fixed up.

Well you can tell Guy that I would like to be with him but I will have to get Kaiser Bill before I come back. 
Well as it is purt near dinner time and we are going to have chicken for our Sunday dinner I will close for this time.  Hoping to hear from you soon.

Your son,
James Thompson









No comments:

Post a Comment

Who Were Charles and James Thompson??

The Thompson family were early pioneers in Arizona.  The father and patriarch, Irish immigrant John James Thompson (born 1841), was the firs...