Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Letter 2 - June 10, 1918


Letter #2 Addressed to Mrs. Maggie Thompson
Sedona, AZ
Postmarked June 10, 1918

Camp Cody, NM
June 9, 1918

Dear Mother,
I got your letter yesterday, evening the first letter I’ve had since I’ve been here.  We just got back from church we go every Sunday.  We both passed the examination alright and are getting along good drilling. 

We were both in the kitchen yesterday.  They have about six out of our company in the kitchen every day.  Jim and I had to sweep out and wash the tables off after each meal.  The kitchen is about a hundred feet long with three tables the whole length of the house. 
There was a man had the mumps in the tent where Germany was so all that was in the tent were moved   they have about an acre of ground with a seven wire fence to stay in.  I don’t think you need to worry about us going to France unless we have to and I never expect to have to go.  And this training we are getting now will do us good. 

We sent our clothes back to Joe Wyatt about a week ago.  We couldn’t pay the express here because they didn’t know how much it was so the boxes will have to say Joe when they get them.  There was about twenty men rejected that come from Coconino County.  Wright Clark was the only one I knew.  They all went home but I guess Wright will have to come back when his ankle gets well. 

The nights are cool here.  I sleep fine since I got another blanket when we first come.   They give us a cot, a tick filled with hay and two blankets.  That was all the blankets they had then.  But they got some more in a few days and give us all another one. 
Myran Loy wrote home the same time I did before and he has never got a letter yet.  I wrote to Frank and Lizzie both yesterday and day before.   All the rest of you are close enough together to read the same letters.  We get shot in the arm every seven days, then we get a day off.  It sure makes lots of the boys sick, but the two shots I have got didn’t bother me any.  Only made my arm a little sore. 

Well, this leaves us both well and getting along good.  

Your son, Charles.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Who Were Charles and James Thompson??

The Thompson family were early pioneers in Arizona.  The father and patriarch, Irish immigrant John James Thompson (born 1841), was the firs...