Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Letter 8 - July 31, 1918


Letter #8 addressed to Mrs. Maggie Thompson

Sedona, AZ     Postmarked August 1, 1918


Co B 134 Inf
Camp Cody NM
July 31, 1918

Dear Mother,

I will write a few lines today.  I haven’t had any letters for over a week now but I guess there is some on the road somewhere.  There was two French officers drowned in a river somewhere around here and they are to be buried today so the Captain said we wouldn’t drill today that we could go to the funeral if we wanted to but none of us went and there won’t be any mail today on account of the funeral and we go to the range this evening so we won’t get any more mail until tomorrow evening when we come back so I thought I would write a little as I think it has been over a week since I wrote before.  There has been talk of us leaving here for some time now but I don’t know whether there is anything to it or not.  I think though we will go to some other state before long.  I hope so anyway since I am this far away I would rather we saw more country than to stay in one place all time.  

I have one of them fine pictures that I want to keep myself so I think I will mail it to you and let you keep it for me.  I think I will be back there before fall.  The Germans are losing every day.  One of our officers said the other day that he thought all of the drafted men would be home within sixty days.  Well I will write again when I get your letter.  There ought to be some here when I get back to (unclear – in margin…)

As ever, C S T
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Who Were Charles and James Thompson??

The Thompson family were early pioneers in Arizona.  The father and patriarch, Irish immigrant John James Thompson (born 1841), was the firs...