Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Letter 6 - July 26, 1918



Letter # 6  to Mr. J. J. Thompson
Postmarked July 27, 1918

133 Inf. Co H.
Camp Cody, NM
July 26,  1918

Dear Mother,

I got your letter yesterday.  I am still in the hospital, but am feeling fine now.  You wanted to know how much Derrick owed me.  He don’t owe me anything.  He might owe Charley.  I don’t know when I see Charley I will find out and let you know.  You wanted to know what kind of bread we had.  We have flour bread the most of the time.  We have corn meal once in a while, but I am getting tired of light bread.  I would sure like to have some hot bread again.

I have got a tub and board to wash my clothes for there aren’t any creeks in this country.  They use well water here and it is getting scarce here now.  When we first come they wanted us to take a bath every day and now the water is so scarce that we only get a bath about once a week.  I would like to be there to help you eat the rosnens (sic) and green beans.   We had a rain here this evening, but it did not last very long.   It rains here pretty often but they don’t last very long.

The government has never sent that money yet.  I seen the captain the other day and he said they was pretty slow sending it the first month.  Maybe you will get June and July payment the same time.  I will see about it as soon as I get out of the hospital.  I have been here 12 days and have got 9 more days to make three weeks.  They have got me sweeping floors and washing windows to give me exercise till my time is up, then I will go back to the company.


You asked about a girl if I had found one yet.  There is some pretty good looking nurses here.  It’s about all the girls I have seen down here in Deming.  There is about 25 soldiers for every girl. 

There was another boy come in with the measles today.  I will let you know later about sending some tomatoes and peaches when I find out whether I leave this camp or not. 

Well about I will close for this time.  Tell Guy to get his hoe and get them weeds out of the garden. 

Good-bye

James Thompson


Images from Camp Cody - including "wash day" that Jim speaks of in this letter.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Who Were Charles and James Thompson??

The Thompson family were early pioneers in Arizona.  The father and patriarch, Irish immigrant John James Thompson (born 1841), was the firs...