Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Letter 9 - Aug 2, 1918


Letter #9 addressed to Mrs. Maggie Thompson
Sedona, AZ     Postmarked August 3, 1918

Co B 134 Inf
Camp Cody NM
Aug 2, 1918

Dear Mother,

I got a letter from you yesterday and today I got yours and Claras letters and one from Fred and one from Green.  You ask me how much I owed on the mules.  I will send you a bill of what I have payed and from now on I will send the money there each month as I haven’t heard from what I sent last month yet.  I will only have $20.00 to send in this letter as I want to send Germany $5.00 that I got from him when we first come here and I will keep $5.00 myself. 

I will make the money order out in Green’s name as he seems to be going to town the most.  How much did Ab pay Pendley?  I think I owed him $30.00.  I will make a bill of what Ab and Green pays and pay them when I can.  You said Derrick was asking what he owed Jimmy.  He owes me $9.75 if he ask about it. 

Dennis Hibbin was out with what they call the war strength Co. and I think it was a machine gun off a long ways that he was shot with.  I got a letter from Jessie D. yesterday telling me about her wedding before Brian Homer left for the Navy.   Jim came back from the hospital yesterday and came over here in the evening and we went out and seen my Captain about having him transferred over here and the Captain said he thought we could.  I think we will leave here in a few days but I don’t know where we will go.  Today was pay day and there is poker and craps games everywhere.  Last pay day about half of the boys were broke before night.  This is the way I made my payments.  I will send that note back and the payments are marked on the back.  Ab can figure what the interest is if he knows how.  The dates on this note may not be just the same as they have them as I sent the last two payments by mail.

I think Joe Wyatt can tell the boys where to find Ed Postin and if they can’t find him they can turn the money over to George Babbitt.

Well I will close for this time.

As ever, Charley







No comments:

Post a Comment

Who Were Charles and James Thompson??

The Thompson family were early pioneers in Arizona.  The father and patriarch, Irish immigrant John James Thompson (born 1841), was the firs...