Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Letter 14 - Sep 16, 1918 - to brother, Fred Thompson


Sept 16, 1918 

133 Inf Co H 
Camp Dix, New Jersey 

Dear Brother,

I
 got your letter three or four days ago but have been sick and did not feel like answering it. I have had the chills and fever. They moved us from Cody to this colder climate and clipped our hair off short and there is an awful lot sick. 

Well I don’t think that we will be here very much longer till we will be moving on to war in France so if you don’t get any more letters from me very soon you will know that I have gone over the water. We haven’t been drilling any for about five days. We have been drawing our over seas clothes. We get our over seas examination just before we get on the boat. 

Well I would like to see all of you folks before I leave but there is no chance. But I figure on coming back some day when I kill them Germans. Well if I don’t hear from you anymore here I will write the next chance I get. As I don’t know anything more to write I will close for this time, hoping to hear from you soon. 

Your brother, James Thompson









No comments:

Post a Comment

Who Were Charles and James Thompson??

The Thompson family were early pioneers in Arizona.  The father and patriarch, Irish immigrant John James Thompson (born 1841), was the firs...