Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Letter 15 - Sep 2, 1918


Letter # 15 to Mrs. Maggie Thompson
Sedona, Ariz
Postmarked Sep 3, 1918

Camp Dix, NJ
Sep 2, ‘18

Dear Mother,

Received your letter yesterday.  All our mail is just cached up and sent right on here without even changing the address.  You can always send mail to my old address when I move until you hear from me as it is always sent right on.  We are not doing anything to day as it is Labor Day.  Jim and I took a walk this morning out in the big trees.  It is the first time I have been in the trees since I left home.  We live in barracks here.  Big two story buildings just one room below and one above.  We have the upper floor that I am on.  There in only about 10 men now but they may fill it up later.  It is about 50 feet one way and 40 the other. 

There is lots of peach orchards and tomatoes close here but I haven’t had any money to buy any since I have been here.  We may get paid tomorrow.  Jim and I both got weighed yesterday evening.  He weighs 141 and I weigh 169.  I am heavier than I ever was before. 

I don’t think we will be separated any more than we are now.  We are closer here than we was at Cody and I think the boys that are in his squad are all right.  We may never cross for we will be here a while yet and the war may end any time. 

Well, I don’t know anything more to write.

As ever, Charley




No comments:

Post a Comment

Who Were Charles and James Thompson??

The Thompson family were early pioneers in Arizona.  The father and patriarch, Irish immigrant John James Thompson (born 1841), was the firs...