Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Letter 9 - Aug 17, 1918


Letter # 9 to Mr. J. J. Thompson, Sedona Ariz
Postmarked Aug 1918

Aug 17 1918
133 Inf Co H
Camp Cody, NM

I got a letter from you the other day and sure was glad to hear from you.  I started to answer it yesterday but did not have time.  I had to go on guard last night at 6 o’clock and did not get off till tonight.  Till six tonight.  When you guard you are on two hours and off four hours for one day and night. 

We are going out to the rifle range in the morning and finish up shooting.  I have been out there three times and shot 160 times and have got fifty more to shoot tomorrow.  We have turned in the most of our clothing and are drawing woolen clothing.  They all think that we will leave here about the 20.  They say that we are going to New Jersey but you can’t tell anything about it. 
I got a letter from Lizzie, Frank and Albert.  You can tell them that I won’t answer them now.  I will wait and see if I move from here in the next day or two. 

Well as I am tired and sleepy I will close for this time and go to bed for I have to get up early in the morning.  Well goodbye till I hear from you again.

James Thompson





No comments:

Post a Comment

Who Were Charles and James Thompson??

The Thompson family were early pioneers in Arizona.  The father and patriarch, Irish immigrant John James Thompson (born 1841), was the firs...