Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Letter 7 - July 25, 2018

Letter #7 addressed to Mrs. Maggie Thompson
Sedona, AZ     Postmarked July 25, 1918

Co B 134 Inf
Camp Cody NM
July 24, 1918

Dear Mother,

I got your letter day before yesterday just before we left to go out to the rifle range.  We shot out there yesterday and came back in the evening.  We have been out there twice now and I think we go twice more.

Well I guess you heard from Jim since he had the measles.  When I seen him Sunday he said he had wrote.  I went over to his tent after I came back off the range before and a man in the tent next to his said that one of the men in his tent got the measles and they took Jim and rest in the tent to the contact camp, so Sunday I went down there and they said there wasn’t anybody there by that name but I looked around until I found the men that had been in the tent with him and they said it was Jim that got the measles but they didn’t know what hospital he was in.  So I came back to his co. and found out from the Sargent where he was.  And Sunday afternoon I went up to the base hospital and thy told me he was in ward 22 and I went there and they said he was sent there but there had been some letters come there for him and they has sent them back to the receiving ward.  But they told me that he may be in 21 as that was a ward for measles.  So I went there and found him out on the porch.  He said he hadn’t had any mail since he had been there and I went back to the receiving ward and found three letters, one from you and one from Ab and the other from Lin Derrick.  I guess he will be there about two weeks.  Yet he was up and looking good but they won’t let him leave until he has been there for 21 days.

I got a letter from Earl Germany the same day I got yours.  He is in Fort Sill Okla. He said that place there was a paradise beside this pace but the water wasn’t as good.  You don’t need to send me anything to read as there is a YMCA here and I can get all kinds of books there.   I sent you a picture of the fire in Deming a few days ago.  I had a man here in camp take a Kodak picture me.  He said he would have some ready this evening if he does I will send one in this letter.  Did Frank get the second letter I wrote him.  Tell him that I would rather not sell that mare if he can get a horse somewhere else.  She wouldn’t be good to work on that mail route anyway with a young colt.  I didn’t sell her to Fred last fall because I wanted to sell her.  I let him have her because he wanted her and then he decided he didn’t.  Have they ever found Tom Hunt yet?  Jim Ivy joined the army to get out of his trouble.  He is in this camp.  Mrs. Grey or his wife came down when Dach Wyatt’s wife came.  I think they are still in Deming.

Well this is all I can think of this time.  As ever, Charley

You can give these pictures around to whoever wants them.


A soldier’s camera that was used at Camp Cody in 1918







No comments:

Post a Comment

Who Were Charles and James Thompson??

The Thompson family were early pioneers in Arizona.  The father and patriarch, Irish immigrant John James Thompson (born 1841), was the firs...