Saturday, October 14, 2017

Letter 18 - Sep 26, 1918



Letter 18 to Mrs. Maggie Thompson
Sedona, Ariz
Postmarked Oct 13 1918

Camp Dix NJ 
Sept 26, 1918

Dear Mother

I got your letter today.  It lacked only three days of being a month since I wrote my first letter from here and the letter I got was the answer to it.  Well sickness is sure keeping us here.  Over half of the Co. was sick for a while and there has been two died.  They call it influinzey that they have all got.  I have been feeling good the most of the time but I don’t like this climate here.  Cody is a whole lot healthier than it is here. 

We haven’t been drilling any for the last week.  There is to much sickness.  I still doubt if I ever go across as I look for the war to end.  I never wrote to but one of the girls that I got the address of and she wrote me a long letter.  She is a school teacher 24 years old.  She has a brother already in France.  I have seen several flying machines since I have been here flying in the air and seen one light. 

Well I guess Green has got my letter before this.  I will soon have another pay day so I can send him some more money.  This month has sure gone fast but the time to go home can’t come any to fast to suit me or any of the rest of the boys to hear them talk.  They all want to go home. 

Well I don’t know anything else to write.  Tell Grey I will be home before Christmas.  I hope so anyway.

As ever,
Charley,




No comments:

Post a Comment

Who Were Charles and James Thompson??

The Thompson family were early pioneers in Arizona.  The father and patriarch, Irish immigrant John James Thompson (born 1841), was the firs...