Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Letter 11 - Aug 15, 1918


Letter #11 addressed to Mrs. Maggie Thompson
Sedona, AZ     Postmarked August 15, 1918


Camp Cody NM
Aug 15, 1918

Dear Mother,

I am writing in answer to your letter of the 8th.  We are still getting ready to leave but I don’t know where yet.  I have had it easy the last two days we have been going out and scattering out over the country in lines and making out like we were slipping up on the Germans and I have been in the front line both yesterday and today and we would walk a little ways and then drop down until about 9 o’clock.  We stopped and let the other lines go ahead and my line would all stick our heads under a mosquito bush and go to sleep until about 2 o’clock and come back to camp.  We got quarantined again this evening.  Somebody in the Co got the measles.  I heard a man say just now that we leave in a week from today but I will believe it when we get started.  We have been having lots of rain here lately and it isn’t as hot as it was in June and the grass is coming up green.  I don’t think we can go to any healthier place than this is especially when it rains enough to keep the sand from blowing.

I mailed a picture this evening to myself.  It is a picture of a boy I have been running with since I been here.  You can keep it for me.  I have some more of them pictures like I sent before.  I will put them in this letter.  I promised Clifford and Pendley a picture but I intended to have some good pictures taken before I send them one.  But I don’t know now when I will have some taken.  Well I had to quit writing and go in the mess hall and listen to a talk on gas and now it about to dark to write.  I got that letter from the forest service and I will write them a letter and if I have to pay that I will have them send the bill to Green.  Well I will have to close for this time.

As ever Charley

Seen Jim yesterday and he is getting along all right.


Training about the dangers of mustard gas


Camp Cody soldiers lining up for "chow".










No comments:

Post a Comment

Who Were Charles and James Thompson??

The Thompson family were early pioneers in Arizona.  The father and patriarch, Irish immigrant John James Thompson (born 1841), was the firs...