Monday, August 13, 2018

Letter 16 - Sep 27, 1918



Letter #16 To Mrs. Maggie Thompson
Flagstaff, Ariz.  Box 91  c/o Fred Thompson
Postmarked Oct 7, 1918

Sept 27 1918
133 Inf  Co H
Camp Dix, NJ

Dear Mother,

I got your letter yesterday and sure was happy to hear from you again.  I am still at Camp Dix.  I guess I would have been in France now if it had not been for sickness.  Four companies had already started.  They are somewhere close to New York, quarantined. 

I was sick for a day or two but I am feeling fine now.  There was another Co. went across in our place and I don’t know when we will go now.   There is still many sick and lots of them are being shipped home in wooden boxes.  They are talking of shipping us back to some warmer climate for the winter but you can’t tell anything about it.  They may ship us across any day and may never go across.  I don’t look have to go across this winter now but we may any day.  You can’t tell anything about the army. 

I got a letter that you wrote me before you got any from me and I got that card that you sent me.  It is getting pretty cold here now and we are having lots of rain.  That is the reason that there is so many dying here.  It is so damp and cold that they did not take good care of their selves and they take pneumonia.

We haven’t done any drilling for about two weeks.  There has been so many sick that the doctors stopped the drilling.  Well I think that we will move to some warmer climate before long but I may get fooled.  We may go across the pond.  But if I do have to go across you can look for me back some day. 

Well you can tell Guy that I would sure like to see him but I don’t know when I will get to.   I sent you some pictures in the last letter that I wrote. 

Well as I don’t have anything more to write I will close for this time.  This leaves Charley and I both well and I hope that it finds you all the same.

Your son,
James T.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Who Were Charles and James Thompson??

The Thompson family were early pioneers in Arizona.  The father and patriarch, Irish immigrant John James Thompson (born 1841), was the firs...