Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Letter 2 - June 14, 1918


Letter #2 to Mrs. J. J. Thompson 
Sedona, Ariz 
Postmarked June 15, 1918


Camp Cody New Mexico 
June 14, 1918 
Training Co #2 Casual camp


Dear Mother, 

I would like to be there to eat some of the fish that you are telling me about for we haven’t been getting any too much to eat here. Some days we get plenty to eat and some days we don’t. 

Well we haven’t had any chance to have any pictures taken yet. If I get any taken I will send you one. We have been doing some drilling with the guns the last day or two. We have been drilling pretty hard since we have been here and we are going to get a rest now. We won’t have anything to do for two are three days but lay around camp. We have been in quarantine ever since we have been here, so I haven’t had any chance to go to town or any where yet. Our quarantine will soon be over and we can run around and pass away the time faster. 

We are going to the show tonight but there is not much there to see but wind and sand. It is sure getting hot here now. I would like to have some of them new potatoes to eat and a nice drink of cold spring water to drink. We have good water to drink here but it gets warm through the day. I don’t think I will ever like soldier life very well. It is so hot here that we sweat so that we have to take a bath every day and wash our under wear ever two or three days. Well so there is nothing to write I will close. It is the same old thing every day so there is nothing now to write this leaves me well and I hope it will find you all the same.

Your loving son.
James Thompson




(YouTube video showing images of the sand storms common to Deming, New Mexico and Camp Cody during the time the Thompson brothers served there)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Who Were Charles and James Thompson??

The Thompson family were early pioneers in Arizona.  The father and patriarch, Irish immigrant John James Thompson (born 1841), was the firs...