Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Letter 4 - June 30, 1918


Letter #4 addressed to Mrs. Maggie Thompson
Sedona, AZ
Postmarked July 1, 1918


CO. B 134th Inf
Camp Cody, NM
June 30, 1918

Dear Mother,
I got your letter and one from Frank day before yesterday.  The first letters I have had for two weeks.  You said it was your third letter though, so I have got all you wrote so far.  But this last one was delayed in being forwarded from the casual camp.  This is the 5th letter I have wrote to you.  Let me know if you got them all.  We have a whole lot better place since we moved.  The tents here are walled up about 4 feet and they have a floor.  We get plenty to eat here so we had pie last Sunday.  I eat half of a pie and some of the boys eat a whole pie.  

We are still not supposed to leave the Co. St. but we all go over to the other streets and some go to town.  I have never been to town yet.  Only when we were marching.  The most of the houses in town have big green trees around them.  Some are elders, cottonwood and locust trees.

It sure is windy here today and there is to much dust in the air.  You can’t see anywhere.  It has been awful hot here.  I can sit in the tent with the sides rolled up and sweat clean through my clothes when the wind isn’t blowing.  Did the PO department advertise for three times a week mail?  Jim was over yesterday evening.  He is getting along alright. 
Have the boys seen my cow that we milked last summer we didn’t find her before I left?  Well I don’t know anything more to write so will quit for this time.

As ever, Charley






No comments:

Post a Comment

Who Were Charles and James Thompson??

The Thompson family were early pioneers in Arizona.  The father and patriarch, Irish immigrant John James Thompson (born 1841), was the firs...