Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Letter 12 - Aug 28, 1918


Letter # 12 to Mr. J J Thompson
Sedona, Arizona
Postmarked Aug 29

Aug 28, 1918
133 Inf Co H

(letter damaged, in fragments)

Dear Mother
I will drop you a line to let you know where I am.  I left Camp Cody 23rd at three oclock and landed here at three this morning.  I had a long ride and saw lots of country.  I am several miles from home.  We  was five days and nights on the train and they would not let us get off only when they would stop and give us a little march in some city every day.  We took a march in Kansas City and we stopped in Saint Louis, MO about three hours and all took a bath.

Charley was still in Camp Cody when I left.  I guess he will come here when he leaves.  There was one more train load in (unclear) Inf and then 134 Inf was going to start.  We are only about 40 miles from New York here.  Well as I have not got much time to write I will close and right you more when I get settled and get more time.  I got a letter from Fred the day I left Cody, just before I left.  You can tell him I will answer when I get time.  This leaves me well and I hope that it finds you all well.  Goodbye till I see you again.

Your son,
James Thompson





No comments:

Post a Comment

Who Were Charles and James Thompson??

The Thompson family were early pioneers in Arizona.  The father and patriarch, Irish immigrant John James Thompson (born 1841), was the firs...