Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Letter 13 - Sep 4, 1918


Letter #13 to Mrs. J J Thompson
Sedona, Ariz
Postmarked Sep 5, 1918

Sep 4, 1918
133 Inf. Co. H
Camp Dix, New Jersey

Dear Mother

I am writing answer to two letters that I have got since I have been here. So you got the pay for two months. They did not pay you thirty $ a month. They told me when I mail the papers out that if I sent 15$ a month that they thought that the government would pay 15$. I guess when they sent you the papers to fill out they thought that I wasn’t supporting you.

There is lots of negro soldiers here. When we came here negros was about all that was here but all of Camp Cody is here now and there has been lots of new drafted men come in the last two days and they are still coming. This is a better camp than Camp Cody if it wasn’t so far from home. There is lots of trees here and that makes it look more like home.

You ask me about the picture that I sent. One of them was me and the other was a man from Texas by the name of Carl. Most near every body takes us for brothers. I don’t know which side I was on now without seeing the picture. You ought to tell which is me. I thought that it looked just like me. I will try and get a good picture taken while I am here.

We got our wool clothes today. I did not have any clothes that was fit to have my picture taken in while I was at Cody. I think that the war will be over this winter. We might have to go across the water but I don’t think that we will ever have to go to the front. Let us hope that we won’t have to go there anyhow. I would sure like to have some of them big juicy peaches. There is lots of good peaches grows here but they charge 5 c for two and I am broke till payday again. I think that we will get paid this week.

Well as I don’t know anything to write and I am getting sleepy I will go to bed, so good-night.
Your son, James Thompson


Jim Thompson on Left - His friend Carl on the right









No comments:

Post a Comment

Who Were Charles and James Thompson??

The Thompson family were early pioneers in Arizona.  The father and patriarch, Irish immigrant John James Thompson (born 1841), was the firs...