Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Letter 7 - Aug 5, 1918


Letter # 7 Addressed to Mr. J. J. Thompson
Sedona Ariz
Postmarked Aug 5, 1918

Aug 5, 1918
Inf 133 Co. H
Camp Cody, NM

Dear Mother,
I got out of the hospital the 2 of Aug.  I got two letters from you while I was there and I wrote three to you while I was there.  There was 70 more soldiers moved into the Co. from the Casual Camp the 2 of the month so there is over 2 hundred here in this Company now.  We are out of quarantine now so we can go to town. 

I will send you some pictures now.  I have had them about three weeks but I was at the hospital and the pictures in the company.  I sent Frank and Lizzie one and was going to send you one when I wrote to you again but I went to the hospital before I wrote to you.
The first day I drilled after I got out of the hospital I got awful tired for it was awful hot and I was weak but I am getting along pretty good again.  Now they are drilling us awful hard here now. 

There was a train run into an auto in Deming the other night and killed the driver and three soldiers and lightning struck one while I was in the hospital.  I am going out to the rifle range the 6th and see what kind of a shot I am.  See if I can shoot straight enough to kill Germans. 

I sure would like to be home now and get some good meals to eat.  Everything they cook here tastes alike.  They mix it all up in your plate till I am getting awful sick eating sick junk. 

Well as I don’t know any more to write I close for this time hoping to hear from you soon.

Your son,
James Thompson





No comments:

Post a Comment

Who Were Charles and James Thompson??

The Thompson family were early pioneers in Arizona.  The father and patriarch, Irish immigrant John James Thompson (born 1841), was the firs...