Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Letter 10 - Aug 20, 1918


Letter # 10 to Fred Thompson
Flagstaff, Arizona
Postmarked Aug 20

August 20 1918
133 Inf Co H
Camp Dix New Jersey
Dear Brother,

I got your letter the day I left Camp Cody, just before I left.  I wrote you two letters while I was there and did not get any answer.  I left Camp Cody the 23rd at 3 o’clock and got here at 3 o’clock in the morning.  I seen lots of country on my trip.  I came through 8 states.  I was in Kansas City but I did not get to see much of the city for we only stopped about a half hour and took a march.  We had to get off the train every day and take a march in some town. 

I like this camp better than Camp Cody.  There is not so much sand.  We are only about 40 miles from New York.  You asked me how I liked soldier life.  It is damn good exercise when you get a sixty pound pack on your back beside your rifle.  They are drilling us pretty had now.  There is none of the Flagstaff boys in my company now but Hackthorn.  He asks me about you every once in a while.

When do you think they will make a soldier out of you?   It may be a good life, but I would rather be a farmer. We have got houses here to live in.  It is better than the tents that we was living in.  I don’t know how long we will stay here.  There is lots of Negro soldiers here.  They was about all there was here before we came but about all of Camp Cody is here now.
 Charley just got here this evening.  Well as I am getting sleepy I will close for this time.  Tell all of the folks hello for me.  I will be back when I kill all of the Germans. 
Goodbye.  Your brother,

James Thompson




No comments:

Post a Comment

Who Were Charles and James Thompson??

The Thompson family were early pioneers in Arizona.  The father and patriarch, Irish immigrant John James Thompson (born 1841), was the firs...