Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Letter 6 - July 14, 1918


Letter #6 addressed to Mrs. Maggie Thompson
Sedona, AZ

Postmarked July 15, 1918

Co B 134 Inf
Camp Cody, NM
July 14, 1918

Dear Mother

I got your letter that Green mailed in Flagstaff four or five days ago but I went on guard again that night and haven’t had time to write since.  My CO is quarantined now.  One of the boys broke out with measles.  I have been using a handsaw the last two days.  They have been moving some tent floors and I help saw the timbers I n two so they could load the floors on the truck.


Denny Hibbon got shot in the jaw a few days ago he is in the base hospital now.  They took some skin off his arm and feet and put on his face.  There was a man in Co. E killed his self yesterday morning.  He was from Phoenix but I forgot what his name was.  He took his rifle and shot his brains out.  There was a big fire in Demming a few days ago.  They took my co. up there after it had been burning for some time but we didn’t have to do anything but carry back something that was piled out in the street.  It burned one whole block in the middle of town.

Did Pendley ever get a letter from me.  I wrote to him after I had been here about two weeks and I have never heard from him.  Jimmie got a letter from Lizzie and she said she never got the letter I wrote her.   Well I don’t know anything more to write just so you know we are getting along all right that is all that is necessary.  

As ever, Charley

I haven’t had any pictures taken yet.













No comments:

Post a Comment

Who Were Charles and James Thompson??

The Thompson family were early pioneers in Arizona.  The father and patriarch, Irish immigrant John James Thompson (born 1841), was the firs...