Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Letter 3 - June 23, 1918


Letter #3 Addressed to Mrs. Maggie Thompson
Sedona, AZ
Postmarked June 23, 1918

Camp Cody, NM
June 23, 1918

Dear Mother,

I will write you a few lines this morning and give you my new address.   We were moved yesterday and we sure are scattered.   I haven’t seen Jim since yesterday noon.  He went more than a quarter of a mile away but we can’t leave our co. streets for a few days.  Jim and Joe Smith are both in 133 but probably won’t be together.    

There was a whole bunch of our old Co 2  came here to 134 with me but we are all split  up since we got here.  There was one Flagstaff boy called out in Co. D with me and we were staying together.  Thought we might be put in the same tent but they told us to line up according to our height and he was only about five feet six inches tall so when they told us to line up he looked up at me and said good-bye but he is only about five tents away.  

Here in A B and D Co. I found about ten of our old Co.  There was a ranger Frank_____  from Flagstaff.  He was in the tent right at the side of ours in Co. 2 and yesterday he was called out before the rest and he didn’t know where any of us was, but I knew where he went so I went over to his street yesterday evening and when he saw me he was sure tickled.  He jumped up and started to shake hands with me when it had only been about two hours since we were separated.  

I have in my tent one other man from Arizona, two from Texas and one belongs in this state.  They all seem to be good boys and I don’t feel so lonesome.  We will stay where we are now for some time I think and in a few days we can hunt up the rest of Co.2.   

It has been raining here every night for 4 or 5z nights now.   I guess I will get some letters soon.  I haven’t had any for some time.  They said they would bring our mail over from the other place it is only about two miles over there but they won’t let us go.  Well I will close for this time.   Have all your letters so they will return if I don’t get them. 

Your son, Charley.
Co. B. 134
US Inf
Camp Cody
NM






No comments:

Post a Comment

Who Were Charles and James Thompson??

The Thompson family were early pioneers in Arizona.  The father and patriarch, Irish immigrant John James Thompson (born 1841), was the firs...