Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Letter 13 - Aug 23, 1918


Letter #13 addressed to Mrs. Maggie Thompson
Sedona, AZ     Postmarked August 25, 1918


Camp Cody NM
Aug 23, 1918 

Dear Mother,

I will write you a few lines to day and am just laying around.  Jimmie left to day and I leave some time tomorrow.  All the bedding we have had for the last week is one blanket, a slicker and an overcoat but I sleep all right.  We turned in our cots today so will sleep on the floor tonight. 

I am sending two post card pictures that was taken here last Sunday.  There are ten thousand men in this picture but I am not in it.  There was one taken right after this with sixteen thousand men in it.  I was in it.  I would have liked to got one of each kind that was taken with the big camera.  These cards were taken with a smaller camera.  The big pictures are plain enough to find anybody but they cost $1.50 and I haven’t got the money to buy any. 

You can wash this handkerchief and give it to Guy. 

Well I don’t know anything else to write.

As ever, Charley






No comments:

Post a Comment

Who Were Charles and James Thompson??

The Thompson family were early pioneers in Arizona.  The father and patriarch, Irish immigrant John James Thompson (born 1841), was the firs...