Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Letter 5 - July 7, 1918


Letter #5 addressed to Mrs. Maggie Thompson
Sedona, AZ

Postmarked July 7, 1918

Camp Cody, NM
July 7, 1918

Dear Mother

I got your letter you sent to Flag and the one you sent from home both together day before yesterday.  I went on guard that evening and that last 24 hours, 2 hours on and 4 hours off.  Jim was here at my tent yesterday evening when I came off guard.  He had already found the letters.  When the fruit gets ripe mail me some.  It won’t cost you anything for postage anyway and if it spoils you won’t be out anything.  I eat some apricots and plumes that came from Phoenix.  And a few days ago one of the boys in my tent got some peaches and tomatoes from Texas.  The peaches were alright  but the tomatoes were mashed.  His was mailed in a tin cracker box.  I got payed of to day for the month of June and six days in May. I didn’t take out any insurance so I got $36.00.  Will send $30 to Ed Postom.  Earl Germany went into the artillery when were were all moved and they have all left but I don’t know yet what state they went to.  I haven’t never seen Myron Loy since we moved.  He was in the same tent with us over at the other camp after the first week.  He went in the 135th Inf when we moved but I don’t know what Co. So I have never went to hunt him up yet.

Jimmy isn’t very far from me.  These streets are about 30 ft wide and the 134th runs as far as I, then the 133 starts in and Jimmy is in H.  There is a row of mess houses along the front street, on for each Co. then our tents are in rows back of the mess house about four feet apart in the row.  Dock Wyatt is in the machine gun Co.  That is the first st. the other side of A so  he is only two streets from me.  He said he was going to have his wife come down to Demming and live if he ever got of quarantine.  He was turned lose the 4th and yesterday she found a man in his CO with diptherie so they quarantined them again.  My Co is not quarantined but we have to have a pass to go to town.  I have never went yet except when we were all marching through town.  Well I don’t know anything more to write today.

As ever, Charley






No comments:

Post a Comment

Who Were Charles and James Thompson??

The Thompson family were early pioneers in Arizona.  The father and patriarch, Irish immigrant John James Thompson (born 1841), was the firs...