Monday, October 16, 2017

Letter 17 - Sep 18, 1918


Letter #17 to Mrs. Maggie Thompson
Sedona, Ariz
Postmarked Sept 19, 1918


Co B 12th Inf
Camp Dix NJ Sept 18, 1918

Dear Mother

I will write you a few lines this morning.  I got your first letter that was addressed to this place day before yesterday.  It was about 5 days coming from Flagstaff.  About half of our Co. are in bed with bad colds.  I felt down for a day or to but feel all right now.   I got weighed yesterday evening and weighed 181 lbs.  Haven’t been drilling much since I been here.  I got a raise in my wages.  I am a first class private now and they get $33.00 a month.  I wrote you a letter the evening I got here and I didn’t write to Fred until I had been here 4 or 5 days but he got his first. 

It is raining to day so we are not doing anything.  We have been here three weeks tomorrow.  This month is sure going fast.  We may leave here any day now unless this sickness holds us back. 

Well this is all I can think of to say.  I ought to get an answer to my first letter soon and then I will write again.

As ever,

Chas. Thompson





No comments:

Post a Comment

Who Were Charles and James Thompson??

The Thompson family were early pioneers in Arizona.  The father and patriarch, Irish immigrant John James Thompson (born 1841), was the firs...