Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Letter 8 - Aug 9, 1918


Letter #8 Addressed to Mrs. J. J. Thompson
Postmarked Aug 12, 1918

Aug 9, 1918
133 Inf. Co. H
Camp Cody, NM

Dear Mother,

I got two letters yesterday, one you wrote July 24 and one you wrote Aug 1th.  They are giving us plenty to do now.  We are going out to the rifle range tonight to practice shooting.  Tomorrow from the way things look now, we are going to leave here in a very short while.  We turned in all of our blankets but one.  We have only got one blanket and a shelter half to sleep in now.  I don’t know whether we will leave or not.  You don’t know one day what you are going to do the next in the army.  
If we leave I think it will be about the 15th.  We had to load everything on the train the other day.  They said that it was to get in practice in loading the train.  We loaded wagons, horses and everything and then we had to get in the train with our packs on and then we had to unload again.  

Viola’s niece Nellie was here and saw me.  As she saw me I did not know her for I have not saw any women here yet that I knowed.  You said that you had not got any money yet.  I guess none of the people that send money home have got it yet. They say that it takes a long time to get it straightened out for there is so many to fix up.

I got last month’s pay the 2th of Aug. I got $8.50. When you get that money you will get it all at once. I wrote you a letter after I got out of the hospital. I sent you two pictures in it. I am sending you a picture that I bought here. 

Well as it is getting close to working time I will have to close for this time.

Your son,
James Thompson





No comments:

Post a Comment

Who Were Charles and James Thompson??

The Thompson family were early pioneers in Arizona.  The father and patriarch, Irish immigrant John James Thompson (born 1841), was the firs...