Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Acknowledgement:

While transcribing these letters I happened to find the website 
https://demingnewmexico.genealogyvillage.com/ which was created by Michael Kromeke, an historian who has lived in Deming, New Mexico for many years.   He was kind enough to share several of the photographs and newspaper clippings he has collected over the years to allow me to illusrate some of the things talked about in the letters of Charley and Jim Thompson.

In an email dated 17 March 2018 he wrote:


   “I became interested in Camp Cody about 16 years ago. I have lived here in Deming, New Mexico for over 27 years and would see some local articles about the Camp every once in a while. Camp Cody was located just a few miles from where I live. You may know that most of the WW1 military records were lost in a fire many years ago. So finding anything about Camp Cody is very difficult and may be lost forever.

   One day I started looking for Camp Cody pictures on the internet and I could only find 3 different pictures. Lots of referenced to the camp but only a few actual pictures. So my goal was to find 10 new Camp Cody scans to put on my web site. I now have over 300 scans and the number keeps growing.

   Almost all of the pictures are scans of postcards. Who knew that so much history could be found in postcards? As I say on my web site, I only have a few actual pictures, the rest were scanned in for me.

   Many of the scans on my web site have been sent to me by people who had family members at Camp Cody. They give me permission to use them on my site and I always give them credit for the pictures if they want it. Some people do not want the credit.

    Please feel free to use anything on my websites for your "Letters from the Attic" project. I have helped with several books on Camp Cody over the last few years and I would be pleased to help you.”

Unless where otherwise noted, all images of the period the Thompson brothers were in New Mexico come from Mr. Kromeke, which are included here with much appreciation.











No comments:

Post a Comment

Who Were Charles and James Thompson??

The Thompson family were early pioneers in Arizona.  The father and patriarch, Irish immigrant John James Thompson (born 1841), was the firs...