Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Letter 14 - Aug 29, 1918

Letter #14 to Mrs. Maggie Thompson
Sedona, Ariz
Postmarked Aug 30, 1918

Co. B 13th Inf
Camp Dix, N Jersey
Aug 29, 1918

Dear Mother

I will write you a few lines this evening.  We got here today about 3 o’clock.  Write as soon as you get this as I don’t know how long we will be here.  Some say we will be here about 10 days and others say we will be here 60 days.  I am sure glad to stop.  have been on the train about six days.  Eat and sleep while we was traveling.  We would get off every day and would walk around in some town.  I had a good time and seen lots of country on my way here if it was tiresome riding so far.  I have been in eleven states now.  (Unclear – scanned off edge of page).

We went swimming in a pool in Kansas City.  I seen Montgomery Ward store from the train.  We sure seen lots of girls on our way here.  One town in Indiana there was a bunch of normal girls at the depot and they wrote their address for us.  I got the name and address of three and one place at a ranch in Missouri.  There was two girls standing at the side of the track with packages of grapes to hand in with their name and address in the package.  I got one package but another man grabbed it out of my hand.

I seen Jim since I got here.  He is all right. 

Well I will close for this time.

As ever, Charley





1 comment:

  1. Boy that tugs at your heart! What these boys would give to get a letter back from one of those girls.

    ReplyDelete

Who Were Charles and James Thompson??

The Thompson family were early pioneers in Arizona.  The father and patriarch, Irish immigrant John James Thompson (born 1841), was the firs...